Thursday, September 01, 2005

After the Begining



Thursday, 1 September 2005

My first blog…YAY!! Well I wish I could be that enthused about it; unfortunately, that’s not the case. I’m writing this from my bed in Memphis, Tennessee. The only thing is that it’s really not my bed. I’m part of a family of six refugees from the city of Kenner, Louisiana. Kenner is about 10 miles west of the “Big Easy.” We’re living in a small hotel room in downtown because we no longer have a home. Hurricane Katrina came ashore on the coast of southeastern Louisiana in the early morning hours of Monday morning and slammed our great city of New Orleans. We lost everything and don’t know what to do or what the future will bring. We’ve been here since 2am on Sunday morning and many things have happened. It’s my hope that through this blog I will be able to share my thoughts and feelings with my friends and family. More posts to come later but for now, welcome to my little piece of life.

Today I feel alone and lost. Where will I go and what will I do? What happened to my life? Where is my home? I was going to school again and now there is no Southeastern Louisiana University. My family expects me to be the strong one and help them to know that everything will be ok…especially my dad. He’s working the disaster in my hometown and the surrounding area. But I don’t even know if it will be ok. So far I’ve been dealing with all of this shit pretty good but I’m keeping my own sadness and uncertainty inside. Only a few times I have blown up in anger at my sister and it crushes me when that happens. She’s just a kid…only 15…and she’s upset too. Everything’s ok with that as we love one another very much and realize it’s the stress. Every time I see the TV and look at the destruction and devastation of my home it’s like my heart being ripped out and I want to cry. It’s almost 2pm now and the family and I are going to get some prescription medications for my grandparents and other items we all need to get by in this hotel. I am clinging to the positive attitude and thoughts that everything will work itself out and it’ll be all good. Until next time, I’ll keep my chin up and my emotions here for my family.

7 Comments:

Blogger Cagle Clan said...

Dear Todd, I am just a stranger from Seattle who came across your blog today. I cannot begin to understand your loss. I just want you to know that so many people all over the world are thinking of you. You are not alone. My church is currently trying to send a relief team there, and also money as well. I am deeply sorry for your loss, but I am so thankful you still have your family. You will make it through this. It may get a bit harder before it gets better, but you WILL make it through this. With you in thought and prayer, Jessica.

2:40 PM  
Blogger Todd said...

Dear Jessica,

Thank you very much for your kindness. It really means a lot to know that good-hearted people like yourself are helping all of us in ths situation. It makes me feel better to know that there are people like you that care. Once again, thank you.

Sincerely,

Todd

2:48 PM  
Blogger Blogwriter said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

2:59 PM  
Blogger eric said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

3:05 PM  
Blogger Richard said...

My heart goes out to you as well. My brother and his family live in Kenner, not far from the Esplanade Mall. I'm searching for any info about how his neighborhood is doing. May I ask how you know that you've lost everything? My favorite info source so far is this map, where people post tags stating whatever information they have about specific neighborhoods.

8:50 AM  
Blogger กฤษณปรุต ภหุโภคยา said...

Todd,
I'm so sorry to hear this very tragic news and at the same time I'm glad everyone in your family is safe, including yourself. I really hope that things will get better for you Todd. Be strong baby!

12:11 PM  
Blogger Todd said...

The reports I have about Kenner are sporadic at best. My father works with the USACE and has seen some aerial views of our area and doesn't look promising. Also, my uncle works with the city of Kenner and drove by when the water went down. He says it's hard to tell but doesn't look good. I pray that you will find your brother and his family. This map you posted is a good resource. Thank you and God Bless.

Todd

1:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home